Inhibition=Prohibition


The energy throughout the entire room is practically explosive. The stale smell of alcohol engulfs the entire room. Everyone’s eyes are glassy from consuming copious amounts of the liquid escape that everyone in the room has been craving. There are bodies bumping into bodies. The sultry sounds of the saxophone dance against the walls. Girls in knee-length fringe dresses lazily sway to the music. They’re doing dances that are deemed provocative by today’s standards. Between the stock market crash and an impending war, it’s the release everyone needs. Nothing about this room is right. But, then again, everything about this room is right.

The burly bartender turns the golden, glass bottle upside down hovering over the gleaming, clear glass. Glug, glug, glug. The pure gold liquor slowly fills up the small glass until it finally spills out onto the dark mahogany bar. The bartender shrugs, knowing that there’s plenty of it left in an underground compartment beneath the wooden floorboards. The liquid burns my lips and throat as it goes down. It makes my entire body warm and sends shivers down my spine. My thoughts become duller and duller as I let my body sway with the sweet sounds of the saxophone that is continually filling the room. I keep asking the bartender to fill my cup. Again. Again. And again. Then, everything goes black.


2 comments:

  1. For the background, I chose a scene out of a 1920s bar for obvious reasons. I think the black and white photograph puts the reader back in time to where drinking alcohol was forbidden. I particularly like how the bartender is standing on the bar because it shows more of the free spirit that existed during prohibition. Including a quote by Abraham Lincoln was a deliberate choice: even one of the greatest presidents and scholars in American history knew that policing people’s personal behavior wasn’t going to work. In the post, I chose to include a modern day example of a type of prohibition that exists today: underage drinking. In the movie Project X, these high school kids drink and party excessively despite the fact that alcohol is illegal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this post. Im going to start this comment by saying that I love the theme of this post. Prohibition and gangsters, flappers everywhere.
    The picture you have chosen for your background is perfect. The "candid-ness" of the picture makes me feel like I am really there. Mingling with the people in it. They are talking to me, and are my friends. We are sitting there in the bar, drinking the prohibited "liquid". And, surely goes without mention, the black and white adds to the vintage theme the page gives off.
    The color palette of the text also seems very well thought out. The classic white text contrasts the black background, not only making it easier to read, but is a good addition to the overall idea. The red is also a nice sharp contrast for the Titles and links.
    As for the actual text, The bartender shrugs, knowing that there’s plenty of it left in an underground compartment beneath the wooden floorboards.” this gives the reader a sense of place and imagery. You can picture a secret staircase leading down to the the bottles beneath the creaky floorboards. Its a perfect choice of words.
    As for the part where the character begins to get drunk, I feel the loss of inhibitions perfectly. The first line in the paragraph, referring to the alcohol bottle as a "golden glass bottle" helps me envision the golden liquid swishing around, pouring itself onto a glass.The alcohol burns the characters lips, and sends a shiver down the characters spine. Their entire body gets warm. The choice of words is ideal, as the author cannot assume that the readers have been through the same experience, aka been drunk before.
    I think this post was really well made, I feel that you really thought out your theme and were consistent with it

    ReplyDelete